The Apprentice position is for full-time employment. This position is located at Newport News, VA. Apprentices are selected and hired to the program as vacancies occur. On-the-job training and trade theory courses in assigned shipbuilding disciplines begin immediately after hire. Academic course work begins within the first six months of the apprenticeship.
1. Meet Requirements
The recruitment, selection, employment and training of apprentices are based on bona fide occupational requirements and are done without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age or disability. The company takes affirmative action to provide equal opportunity in apprenticeship and operates the program as required under Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 30, and the Virginia State Plan.
All applicants must fulfill the following minimum requirements for consideration of an interview:
- Be at least 18 years of age. Current high school seniors may apply for early admission before reaching age 18.
- Have a high school education with a passing grade in at least four of the following courses:
- Algebra I
- Algebra II
- Vocational/Technical Education or Computer Science
- Advanced Mathematics
- Principles of Technology
(Please Note: Meeting the minimum requirements specified does not ensure selection.)
- Be physically able to perform the essential duties of the shipbuilding discipline requested or assigned.
- Be able to obtain the proper security clearance. Due to the nature of the work performed at Newport News Shipbuilding, U.S. citizenship is required. Applicants will be subject to a U.S. government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Current employees of Newport News Shipbuilding must have good attendance and job performance records.
(Note: Meeting the minimum requirements specified does not ensure selection.)
2. Apply Online
Applicants must submit an online application and pay a non-refundable $45 processing fee. (Fee waived for current Newport News Shipbuilding employees, veterans and reservists.) A secure form for credit card transactions will be provided via email upon submission of the application.
3. Send Transcripts
Applicants must also mail official transcripts from all high schools and post secondary schools attended to:
The Admissions Office can also be reached by calling