Our vision is to encourage, empower, and recruit the next generation of shipbuilders by improving their job readiness skills to become high-performance craftspeople in the shipbuilding trades.
Benefits of Youth Builders
- Improved job readiness
- Resume building experiences
- Interview practice workshops
- Waived apprentice school application fee ($45)
- Enhanced pathway to paid apprenticeship
Who Can Participate?
The Youth Builders program is currently open to 11th and 12th grade students in public, private, or home schools throughout Hampton Roads who have an interest in shipbuilding careers.
Minimum Requirements for Admission to the Youth Builders Program
- GPA of 2.0 or higher (with grade of C or better in math and science classes)
- Have taken or are on track to take Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II by their junior year
- Submitted high school transcript
- Completed application including meeting the essay requirements
The Youth Builder Experience
Today’s high-performance workers require problem-solving skills in both science and technology, where applied mathematics is crucial. For that reason, all Youth Builders will participate in math activities.
Builder Shop Talk
In-depth conversations about the day and the life of apprentices in various trades.
Real world trade experience and activities.
Ready to Apply?
Applications for the Youth Builders program will be posted and available beginning in May 2022. For more information about the Youth Builders pre-apprenticeship program, email us at [email protected].
***Applications for the Youth Builders program will open in mid-January 2023 and will be open until May 2023. Check back during this timeframe to apply! ***
Youth Builders gave me even more of an opportunity and another foot in the door to get into The Apprentice School.“Karmen McKnight (Senior at Heritage High in Newport News, VA)