The Apprentice X Dual-Enrollment Pre-Apprenticeship Program is for 11th and 12th graders and offered by The Apprentice School, a degree granting and accredited institution with over 100 years of history with Newport News Shipbuilding. This enrichment opportunity allows high school pre-apprentices to participate in The Apprentice School’s World Class Shipbuilder Curriculum (WCSC) via virtual classes during a portion of the school day. The WCSC academic curriculum makes available the latest techniques and information enabling students to be the best in their craft.
Participants will gain a head start to The Apprentice School’s WCSC academic curriculum and simultaneously satisfy required high school credit. The Apprentice X Pre-Apprenticeship Program provides a potential pipeline to registered apprenticeship with The Apprentice School or any maritime or career pathway. Pre-apprentices who successfully complete Apprentice X will have a competitive edge when applying to The Apprentice School! In addition, The Apprentice School is currently in discussion with Virginia Peninsula Community College and Tidewater Community College regarding the acceptance of a number of transferrable credits to give pre-apprentices even more options for their post high school education paths.
Benefits of Apprentice X
Who Can Participate?
- Rising juniors and seniors
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Strong achievers in math and science
- Have completed or are on track to complete pre-requisites of Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 or advanced math with a “B” or higher
- An interest in maritime industry and trades
- Participating school districts may have further requirements for eligibility
Application & Admissions Process for Apprentice X
- Fill out your school’s interest form to have a school counselor contact you.
- Eligible students will be sent the application to apply.
- An interview is required and will be conducted by faculty or staff of The Apprentice School.
- Decisions will be sent to students, parents/guardians, and the student’s school via e-mail post interview.
Students who are accepted to the Apprentice X Dual-Enrollment Pre-Apprenticeship Program are now referred to as pre-apprentices! An orientation will be scheduled before the start of each academic year.
Apprentice X Dual Enrollment Curriculum 2022-2023
Apprentice X hopes to extend to other high school districts as well as private schools and home schools in the future. Interested educators should contact [email protected].